Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cookies! And new purchases

Before I go into my baking banter, I want to show off my new purchases of the day. Domus has a retail shop next to the restaurant where it sells everything from baking tools, to pretty towels, to the best knives, a whackload of espresso machines... it's seriously heaven for me. Well, little did I know that I was walking into a sale! Of course I went hog wild. Can I justify buying these things? Not really, especially since my Toronto blow out was not two weeks ago! Oh well, I call them investments ;D.

My biggest splurge - Nielsen-Massey products. Decently priced too. I'm super pumped to try out the rose water on some macarons.

'
Ok, this purchase isn't so bad. I hate using water bottles at work that I just have to throw out later, and I only have a small metal bottle, so I wanted this big one, because I love my water. It was only $5 too.

I'm actually getting paid back for this, so this is ok! I bought this for work as the one digital scale we have is crap and tends to go crazy and/or turn itself off after 5 seconds of being on.

A few weeks ago I made some cookies for a family friend's baby shower. They were a hit! Though, silly me, I was only asked to do 24 cookies, but for some reason the words "two dozen" translated as 48! I must have been exhausted. Ergo, being the perfectionist that I am, I did a bit of a rush job and thus I wasn't as happy with my end result. Apparently I need not have worried because I've never received so many compliments as I did that day!


(some of them got a little squished during the day)





I seem to have wormed my way into a very lucrative market - motherhood. There's so many events that you can bake for! Baby shower, baptism, first birthday, second birthday, pregnant hormones that crave cake... the list can go on!

I made a coconut cake this week for my old work, and it was a bit of an ordeal. I just happened to pick both cake, filling, and frosting recipes that worked against me. The cake too forever to bake, the filling took forever to cool and combine, and the buttercream did not yield enough to cover my huge cake, nor did it have a good consistency for working with. It all turned out alright in the end. I had some fun with the borders this time by changing from my usual round tip or star tip to my leaf tip. Simple but a nice change!



Back to cookies! I got a number of people wanting to order from me, and so far I've gotten one lady who wants multiple things from me, starting with Valentine's Day. You guessed it, heart shaped cookies. Here they are in their naked state.




Dun dun dun... to be continued! Next post I'll show them in their finished form.



2 comments:

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

those cookies are so pretty and they look really deliscious! i really like that first picture of the bottles too! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Rosalind said...

Those biscuits are amazing! I love the colours- remind me of china teacups. I was thinking that they would have worked well in one of my favourite shoots in British Vogue- all blue and white!
Thanks for the sweet comment.

http://clothescamerasandcoffee.blogspot.com/