Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekends are never lazy over here

Happy Monday! ... I don't know why I'm so chipper about that, it hasn't been the best of days. However, the work day is over and tomorrow will be better.

I had this past weekend off so on Saturday I decided to treat myself to a fancier breakfast than my usual muesli and soy milk - I made Breakfast Blini's, which came from this book:


A favourite! I love the photography and the simplicity of the recipes. It's also British, which means everything is weighed in grams, my favourite < / endnerdhere >.

Looks like slop, but wait!


Almost...


There we go!





Topped with frozen blueberries, yoghurt and agave (no maple syrup, but this was a delicious substitute!), it was a wonderful and fairly healthy breakfast. Easy too!

Breakfast Blinis
Serves 4

125 g (4 oz) self-raising flour (I used all purpose)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
15 g (1/2 oz) caster sugar (I used raw cane)
grated zest of 1 orange (no oranges, limes instead!)
50 g (20 oz) sultanas (the only raisins I had are in raisin bran, so I cut up dates in their place)
1 egg
200 ml (7 fl oz) milk (I used soy)
50 g (2 oz) bran flakes, crumbled (raisin bran, baby!)
a little olive oil (coconut oil was my greaser of choice)

1. Sift the flour and cinnamon together into a bowl. Stir in the sugar, grated orange zest and sultanas, then make a well in the centre.

2. Beat the egg with the milk, then pour into the well. Stir to combine and form a smooth batter. Stir in the crumbled bran flakes.

3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan, then wipe with kitchen paper dipped in olive oil. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter into the pan, spacing them well apart to allow room for spreading. Cook for 2 minutes until set and golden underneath, then turn with a palette knife and cook for a further 2 minutes.

4. Serve warm, with yoghurt or fruit if you'd like.

Easy peasy! So good!

On Sunday my boyfriend and I hosted a dinner party for his family, and the parents of his best friend.

Saffron Chicken with Cilantro and Almonds



Lemon Polenta Cakes with Blackcurrant Cream


A roaring success overall!

Today I made a traditional favourite for an order - banana coconut cream pie.



I used coconut cream instead of just coconut milk and it made for a much richer flavour. My bananas were also at a perfect ripeness. I'm actually jealous that I didn't get to eat this!

I leave you all with this teaser - what will this become?!



No comments: